Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Dreaded Interview...

So most people that I know hate going to interviews. You're thrown out all kinds of questions that don't really have good answers, are totally vague, have nothing to do with the job or any of the above and more.

While I'm not exactly thrilled at the rare occurrence that I have had to go to an interview (I know its under 10), they aren't the worst thing in the world.

Now, being on the other end of the sharp stick is a completely different matter. In my years working in various aspects of management for different kinds of companies, I have always hated being the interviewer. Having to come up with all of the obtuse questions and trying to make a snap judgement on someone over the course of 10-30 minutes.

And the only thing worse than a one-on-one interview is a group interview. Fortunately, I've only been in on 1 group interview though, so my experience there has been gratefully limited.

But I realize that as the Store Manager, its my job to interview people for job openings, and soon because Black Friday is only a few weeks away.

Now, as part of the interview process the application is typically going to be the first thing that I see about my potential employees. And the first thing that I'm going to notice is the handwriting. Now, I don't have the best handwriting in the world when I'm writing for myself, or my wife or at work. But when I fill out a job application, I am deliberate and precise with my handwriting. There is nothing worse than an application that is completely illegible.

In the event that people actually turn in their application directly to me, appearance is the next concern. If you come in in a t-shirt and jeans, I'm probably going to look less favorably on your application. Now, not to say that people have to come in wearing a 3-pc suit, but at least look like you're trying.

Once I get to the actual application, more concerns come to mind. I will admit that now we're in the digital age, where everyone has an email and there are more free-email services than I care to count, the first thing that I look at is a person's email. I was recently reinforced in my thoughts on this matter by an article that I read on Yahoo about things not to do when you are filling out applications. It really isn't that hard to hit up yahoo, hotmail, live or gmail and get a simple first initial, dot, last name @ email address. And it isn't like the people that you are going to be giving this email address to don't already have your name, so what does it matter? People who turn in applications with emails like "pixiprincess" "bigpapa" or the like are not very likely to be at the top of my list for people to hire.

Next, we have your employment history. Now, I will grant that most applications only have room for 3 jobs, but turning in a resume allows for much more expansive work history. Unless you have only had 3 jobs, putting that place you worked at for 2 weeks is probably not a good idea. I always look at length of employment when I'm skimming resumes and applications. I'm more receptive to a skimpy work history than one that has half a dozen jobs where you only worked a few weeks or a month or two.

The rule I have for my personal resume is simple: Less than 8 weeks doesn't count, unless it directly relates to the job I'm trying to get. So my 7 week stint as a barista, my 6 weeks working for Domino's after I left Papa John's and my 6 weeks as a Telemarketer get left off unless I'm applying for a job in one of those three fields (none of which I would ever want to work in again, I might add.)

The last pet peeve is for the previous work experience area. The label says "Reason for Leaving". By the very title, it implies that I realize you probably no longer work there. If you still work there, your "From-To" dates should read "Presently Employed", "Present" or "Current. The "Reason for Leaving", in this case, should be why you are looking to quit, or the simple fact that you intend to remain employed.

Putting "Quit" under "Reason for Leaving" is terrible. Considering the fact that there are only 3 options: Quit, Fired or Still Employed, I want to know why you Quit or why you were let go. The best applications I have ever seen explain why the person was no longer employed with that company, seasonal work, lay offs or quit for whatever reason. Now, if why you were let go is too lengthy for the box, "Will Explain" is sufficient. To be honest, I don't care half the time.

And that brings us to the interview. For a job like the ones at UPS, going to the interview with the HR person in casual attire, jeans and a jacket, is perfectly acceptable. You're going to be wearing those clothes more likely than not. However, for my work at VZW, showing up to the interview in jeans is a no-no, especially when I tell all of my interviewees to dress "professionally." Polo shirts are even reaching a bit for that line. A pair of dress pants, or a skirt if you must ladies, and a button-up shirt or nice blouse is all I'm asking. Again, no need to break out the 3-pc suit or tuxedo.

And finally, bear with me. We both realize that interviews suck, but they're a necessary evil.

Final Note: Calling once a week, or once every other week for a couple weeks after the interview is acceptable. Calling every day after you turn in your application is see if it has been reviewed yet is a sure fire way to get it filed in the circular cabinet.

1 comment:

  1. So ... coming in looking like James Bond is a bit of overkill?

    ReplyDelete