Friday, July 29, 2011

The Worlds In My Head

So, I don't remember when I started writing, or really why. I think it was a way to kill time when my family moved over an hour away from where we did everything.

I do remember that the first books that I wrote were terrible. The ideas in them were taken from movies, tv shows, books and games and adapted to the worlds that I created almost literally on the fly. No preparation, no thought.

Slowly, my work began to improve.
As I worked and grew, my worlds started to take their own shapes, developing from a small idea here or there. And as I started to grow as an author, I realized that my stories had to have a strong base before they could be really good. So now, my world's may start from a short blurb that floats through my mind (and trust me I have many of them), I have gotten into the habit of taking that small blurb and building a world for it before I start doing most of the work. Not only does a strong base help keep the world on track, it keeps me from
Once in a great while, I'll get a spark from an outside source and try to develop that into a working world. My most recent experience with this was an idea my younger brother had. He gave me a very rough skeleton and a built a working blurb for it. It still needs heavy work, but he was amazed at what I had done with just a little thought. One thing that continues to surprise me, is the way that some world's will take what I give them and run with it. I have a world I'm developing now that started out pretty tame but has morphed into an elf-having, Griffin riding fantasy. On the other hand, some world's will take my skeleton form and build on it exactly as I had intended/expected. Hopefully one day I'll get published and other people will enjoy my worlds. But until then, I'll continue working on them. If only to keep them from crowding my brain...

No comments:

Post a Comment